Saturday, February 1, 2020

Storybook Plan: Borgin and Burkes

Through my storybook project, I hope to give readers an experience that makes them feel like they are in Knockturn Alley. So that means feelings of unpleasantness and spookiness. My stories will probably be in the third person, and each will emphasize a specific Indian myth object that a character finds in Borgin and Burkes. The storytelling style I will be using is kind of like an anthology, although the overall topic/location will be the same.

I'm still not sure if I'm going to use the actual Indian characters who originally had the object, or if I'm going to adjust them to be Harry Potter characters that we already know about.

As mentioned in my previous project post, here are the three stories I am planning to write:
  1. Cintamani Stone: For this one, I'm thinking Lucius Malfoy will enter the shop seeking out an object that can aid Voldemort in gaining strength. Borgin would explain the history behind the stone, who sold it to the shop, and how it has been used over the past few centuries. I think it'd be fun to mention Nicholas Flamel in there somewhere. Maybe he studied it to learn how to make his philosopher's stone? 
    • Potential sources:
      • Here is the wikipedia article about the stone.
      • This article on alchemy and Rasayana seems really helpful!
      • Here is information about Nicholas Flamel.
  2. An astra (probably the Brahmastra?): The idea for this one is that Bellatrix (or some Death Eater) comes into the shop seeking a weapon that could help Voldemort (this would be near the end of the series). She would see the astra and harass Borgin about it. Borgin would be weary in explaining it because it's so destructive, but eventually he would tell her the history of it. 
    • Potential sources:
      • Pages 120-123 of my copy of Narayan's Ramayana mentions some astras (the Maya, Brahmastra, and Garuda) and provides some good background information on them. 
      • Here is the wikipedia article about the Brahmastra.
      • This is a helpful list of astras. 
  3. Ashwatthama's gem: My basic idea for this one is that Tom Riddle will be working at Borgin and Burkes when he sees the gem. He'll ask Burke about it in the same way he was trying to learn about horcruxes from Slughorn (so Tom will be slightly manipulative and will try not to seem too eager). Burke will then explain what he knows about the story behind the gem and how it got to the shop. (Maybe Grindelwald was using it but then gave it to someone who sold it to the shop?? I'm not completely sure yet.)
    • Potential sources:
      • Here is the wikipedia article about Ashwatthama. 
      • The Mahabharata

No comments:

Post a Comment