Sunday, February 2, 2020

Wikipedia Trail: From Ashwatthama's Gem to the Sudarshana Chakra

For one of my stories in my storybook, I will likely be writing about Ashwatthama's gem. Here is the link to the article on Ashwatthama. The article mentions that "Ashvatthama is born with a gem on his forehead which gives him power over all living beings lower than humans; it protects him from hunger, thirst, and fatigue."

(Ashvatthama uses Narayanastra, from Wikipedia.)

That led me to this article on Krishna, because Krishna cursed him after he had to surrender his gem. Krishna is the eighth avatar of Vishnu in Hinduism. He is the god of compassion, tenderness, and love.

I noticed that Krishna had a few weapons, so I clicked the link for the Kaumodaki. This is Krishna's mace, and it is known as one of the oldest and strongest weapons. Vishnu is often depicted holding the Kaumodaki, along with three other objects, which led me to...

...This article on the Sudarshana Chakra. This weapon is another of the four things Vishnu holds. It's a spinning weapon and has been featured quite a bit in Indian mythology!

No comments:

Post a Comment