Monday, February 17, 2020

Week 7 Biography: The Grand Canyon

At the trailhead of the Grand Canyon's South Kaibab trail sits a sign warning hikers not to hike down to the Colorado River and back in one day. For me, it was a little too late for that knowledge, as I had just spent months planning and training for a rim-to-rim day-hike. Ignoring the sign, I shouldered my bag and went on my way.

Ooh Aah Point about a mile into the South Kaibab trail (Personal image, May 2017)

Hiking down was more difficult than you would think. I had to use a set of muscles I don't typically put to use, as I'm not typically walking on a downward slope for about six miles. Still, I knew I'd be missing it in a few hours when I was on my way back up.

Going down the South Kaibab trail (Personal image, May 2017)

At the bottom of the Grand Canyon, tadpoles swam in the Colorado River, and the flat ground provided much-needed relief from a slope.

Near the bottom of the Grand Canyon (Personal image, May 2017)

I had not been making very good time, though, so I had very little time to enjoy it. I stuck my feet in the river, took a few minutes to enjoy the view, and then went on my way.

On the way back up (Personal image, May 2017)

On the way up the ~8 mile Bright Angel trail, I eventually thought I wasn't going to make it. About a mile in, I couldn't believe I ever thought I enjoyed hiking. About three miles in, I thought I would have to be one of those people who are helicopter-lifted out. But I refused to quit, because I knew I could do it. I knew I was stronger than my mind was telling me I was. That last mile was tough. It never got easier. By the time I reached the Bright Angel Trailhead at the top of the Grand Canyon, I didn't even really care. After 12 hours of walking (well...probably nine hours of hiking, and three hours of eating, drinking water and gatorade, and resting), I was just glad to be done. Eventually, I was glad to have challenged myself, but at the moment of finishing, I just wanted a bed and a massive amount of food.

Someday I hope to hike the Grand Canyon from rim-to-rim-to-rim, but I'm at least self-aware enough to realize that I am definitely not in shape enough for that right now. But someday.

__________


Author's Note: Last week I wrote about my Manitou Incline hike, so this week I decided to keep writing about my hiking adventures. I tried to write a 100-word story, but obviously that didn't work. Still, I tried to keep it minimal and only give the most vital details. When thinking about my Grand Canyon trip, these are the snapshots I remember, so I didn't try to dig too far into my memory for the sake of writing more. I felt like these were the most important points, and they would make for the best story.

No comments:

Post a Comment