Monday, February 10, 2020

Week 6 Lab: Writers Write Articles

I read the article Why You Need Consequences In Fiction, which talks about how to make your stories matter. Writing characters with dimension is important to keep readers interested. If the characters are perfect and have no flaws, it can get boring really quickly. To make your stories more realistic, you should ensure your character's choices and actions have consequences.

I also read this article on cheat sheets for body language. I often have difficulty finding the exact right words. I know what I'm trying to say, but I can't quite put my finger on the phrase or term. Having cheat sheets like this is so helpful, and it even gives me more ideas that will help expand my writing. One of my favorites on the cheat sheet is, "Secretiveness: tight-lipped smile, hands in pockets look away, cover face, look down." The article also lists good reasons to describe body language. I'll definitely be putting this cheat sheet to use in the future!

This article on 10 Powerful Recurring Themes In Children’s Stories is exactly what I am interested in. I love children's literature, as it has played a huge role in my life. I really hope to be a part of publishing children's stories some day. They can give kids such important life advice without the kids even realizing it. The list includes things like courage, love, and friendship. It gives specific examples, and one of my favorites is Harry Potter, which it mentions shows how to have courage in the face of evil. There is so much depth to children's books that we don't even think about. They're more than just cute and interesting stories--they're introductions to important life lessons that will teach kids how to be kinder people as they grow up.

Children's books from Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment