Sunday, January 26, 2020

Biography: The Abandoned Mobile Home

As a child, I was extremely interested in any kind of adventure. Pair that with having two very curious siblings and you get a recipe for disaster. Well, maybe not disaster, but definitely danger. Seriously, I don't know how we didn't get severely injured or kidnapped.

One of my earliest childhood memories is when I would venture into my neighborhood's woods with my siblings. We would trudge up the hill and were blissfully ignorant of the ominous signs around us that definitely indicated kids should not be alone in that area. In those woods, though, sat an abandoned mobile home. Plants had grown around and inside it, peaking through gaps in the flooring. Broken plates, book pages, and miscellaneous objects were strewn across the floor. We had to be extremely careful about where we stepped to avoid shards of glass and sticky residue from who-knows-what. We figured the place was haunted, but my older brother would always act brave and promised to protect us if anything happened. Looking back, I can't believe I thought a 10-year-old would be able to keep us safe from strangers and hazards... But at the time it gave me the courage I needed to explore freely.

After years of exploring the woods and the mobile home, one day we went back for another adventure and the mobile home was gone. We can only assume it was removed from our neighborhood because hooligan kids (a.k.a. me and my siblings) would stupidly explore the extremely dangerous, decrepit, and hazardous trailer. While it was probably for the best, it still makes me sad that it's no longer there. It almost makes the memory feel like a dream since I have no proof. Still, this childhood memory will remain as one of my favorites for life.

(This isn't the mobile home, but it is eerily similar. Source: Mobile Home from Pixabay.)

_____

Author's Note: I chose this topic because it was nice to be able to reminisce on my childhood before life was too serious. It's a good reminder that life can be as fun as you make it, no matter where you are. You just have to seek out adventure sometimes, or make your own. I chose to write it the way I did because it needed to have a nostalgic feeling while also being informative. I want the reader to know how important this memory is to me, and I want them to feel like they were there with us. The length just came naturally--it was as short/long as it needed to be to get my point across. I didn't want it to be boring and excessive, but I also didn't want it to be so short that I wouldn't be able to be descriptive.

No comments:

Post a Comment