Sunday, February 23, 2020

Week 8 Wikipedia Trail: From Trimurti to Pāṇini

I started with Trimurti, which is a term I saw mentioned in a past storybook for Indian Epics. This is a triple deity in Hinduism that personifies creation (Brahma), maintenance (Vishnu), and destruction (Shiva).

I then clicked on Maitrayaniya Upanishad, which is an ancient Sanskrit text in the Yajurveda. There are so many terms I'm unfamiliar with in this article so it's hard to decipher exactly what this term means, but I think it's a really important text in Hinduism.

I had no idea what the Yajurveda was so I clicked on that next. It is basically scripture for worship rituals said by a priest. It is one of the four Vedas and was probably made between 1200 to 1000 BCE.

From there I clicked on Pāṇini, who was a "Sanskrit philologist, grammarian, and a revered scholar in ancient India." He is known as the father of linguistics (just in India, I believe) and he did a ton of work to form and improve Indian language.

The Trimurti at Ellora from Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment