Monday, February 17, 2020

Week 7 Microfiction: Harry Potter, Year Two

Riddle's Diary

Ginny felt lonely; the diary knew. 

Tom Riddle's Diary by James_Seattle on Flickr

The Voice

Isolated his whole life by differences, Harry found that even in the world in which he belonged, he was an outcast. This didn't bother him much, but the voice in the walls that only he could distinguish did.

__________

Author's Note:

For the first story, I did a six-word microfiction about how Tom Riddle's (Voldemort) diary was possessing Ginny. I had trouble deciding if "the diary knew" should have been first, but I think this order packs a punch a bit more. I'm doing six-word stories every week to get better at them (I need a lot of practice...it's definitely not my forte), so that's why I decided on that length. 

For the second story, I wrote about Harry hearing the basilisk in the pipes that was causing paralysis  in Hogwarts. I wanted to depict Harry's differences, but when reading the series I noticed that Harry had much bigger things that he focused on than "woe is me." He had Ron and Hermione, which helped him get through any feelings of isolation, and he listened to his instinct in the second book, telling him that the noise was definitely something concerning. I decided on a two-sentence story because I wanted to point out two different things, and I felt like that necessitated two sentences. 

Bibliography: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by JK Rowling

No comments:

Post a Comment